Monday 5 October 2009

Sisters


Although I have siblings, one full and two half, I have been brought up as an only child. I have no real bond with may half brother or sister and I can count the number of times that I have met my full brother on my hands. So watching our girls love, cherish and enjoy each other, has been a thrilling experience and joy to me. I have friends with sisters and I continually observe their relationships so as to gain insight, sometimes peppered with a longing of my own. When listening to this mornings women's hour on radio four, I learned that an author has written an intriguing book about sisters. Previously a doctor, now accomplished writer, Luisa Dillner covers in her recent book the role and functions of sisters, citing historical figures and various present day sisterly relationships. I am sure that this book will be on my Christmas list! I am interested to know about your memories of growing up with siblings.

1 comment:

  1. My brother and I used to play a sumo type wrestling game which had one objective - to get the other person's nose to touch ground first! It wasn't as rough as it sounds honest!! I wonder if the same game would have been played if I had a sister?
    That's a though provoking post, my sister from another mister! (as Mr Bell would say)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by, I'd love to hear from you x